Wednesday, October 20, 2010

a productive day



Okay so this post is in part just an excuse to post some lovely autumnal pictures and partly an opportunity to write a positive post.

I have a satisfyingly productive day today.

I got a decent start to my day. Allowed myself to sleep in just a bit, but was still up early enough to feel like I hadn't wasted my morning. First things first I finished decorating the house for Halloween, hopefully the rain/wind that started this evening doesn't wreck too much havoc. I particularly love the big spider that you can see climbing the tombstone. I got 3 of those total.

After putting the finishing touches on the decorations I spent a good chunk of my day studying. Pretty uneventful so I won't bore you with the details.


After reading for a few hours I got restless and decided to use some of the apples that I picked on Saturday to bake. I had planned to make pie, but I had to work at 6 today and I was worried that Pie would take too much time. For the heck of it I went online and just looked up "simple apple recipes" and found one that I decided would be worth trying. SUPER YUMMY! The recipe that I found online called them Apple Squares, but I'll have to think of something better to call them.

If you're looking for something to do with some extra apples here's the recipe, I highly recommend it, and I can be picky sometimes.

HERE'S ALL YOU NEED

  • 3 large apples, peeled & diced
  • 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups flour (1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 all purpose flour)
  • 1 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup canola oil or natural applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350ºF degrees.

Prep the apples and pecans, set aside. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon and salt together. Make a well, pour in eggs, oil, and vanilla. STIR BY HAND. The batter becomes very thick. Fold in the apples and pecans until well mixed. Pour into a well greased pan. There's enough batter to fill one 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 40 minutes.

*Also just a note I used two 8x8 pans because I wanted to take one to work, I also used 6 small apples instead of 3 large ones, I didn't have any whole wheat flour so I just used 2 cups all purpose, and I sprinkled just a little bit of brown sugar on the top when I was done. In spite of all my little alterations or perhaps because of them the result was delicious, crunchy on top warm and gooey on the inside. Some recipes, particularly for desserts, need to be fairly precise. This is definitely not one of them. It was quick easy and as for amount of apple the measurements seem to have some leeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment