Monday, October 18, 2010

more misery at the book store


In less than a week work has dropped so much s@%t on us as employees that I'm starting to wonder if we're part of a psychological experiment to see just how far retail employees can be pushed before the snap.

I came into work last Thursday and there is a memo in the break room that starting later this month all of our janitorial staff will be let go and employees will be responsible for cleaning the store. Which means they will need someone to come in mornings and clean the bathrooms vacuum etc. I'm sorry, but actual cleaning staff gets paid very well there is no way I'm going to do their job for my pay. Starting on Sunday the entire back section of the store is being rearranged, not because the current arrangement doesn't work, but because someone at corporate needed to prove that they should keep their job. In fact the new set up is incredibly awkward and inconvenient.

And the final straw, today all of the lovely new chairs that we got in the break room (to replace the perfectly good couch we had) have been moved out onto the floor because customers "need MORE seating." I'm sorry but the people who sit in those chairs all day and don't ever buy anything should not be encouraged! Mean while there is absolutely nowhere comfortable to sit now in the break room. I honestly find the entire thing incredibly disrespectful to the employees. A good business has happy employees, they don't screw them and short change them at every chance they get.

I am so frustrated and unhappy right now. This job may not have been the best job in the world, but I didn't hate it. I didn't dread going to work everyday in fact sometimes I looked forward to it. I love books and I really like all of the people I work with, but now I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment