Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Halloween


Okay SO I know that it isn't even October yet, but I can barely contain my excitement for Halloween.

Halloween has always been a favorite holiday for me. I'm not exactly one of those people who would place it above Christmas, but that's mainly because I don't really see them as comparable. I love Christmas and I love Halloween, for entirely different reasons. When I think of Christmas I think of family, a fire in the fireplace, a big meal, mulled wine, and of course giving and receiving gifts. When I think of Halloween I think of dressing up, haunted houses, parties with friends, cider, and of course sweet treats of all varieties.

Ever the purest I don't believe I've ever purchased a costume from a store. When I was younger I was blessed with a mother who could not only sew, but who was/is endowed with incredible patience. We would go to the fabric store every year at the end of summer and look for a pattern. Precocious child that I was I always knew exactly what I wanted and there was never a pattern which fit my imagination exactly, so my mother would alter whatever pattern we found that was the closest to my "vision."

Now that I am in my mid twenties I am no less difficult to please when it comes to possessing the perfect costume. The only difference is that my mother has been relieved of her seamstress duties, and I now create my own costumes. Though I posses little of her skill with the sewing machine I have developed over years of imagination games as a child and theatre in my adult life a knack for trolling thrift stores and ebay. I search out different pieces which with the help of a little needle and thread and perhaps a hot glue gun can be transformed into fantastical costumes.

When it comes to costumes, creativity is a must. If you want to look sexy fine, but you'd better find a clever way to do it or chances are I'll think less of you. I'll admit I have my vanities just like everyone else. I want to look good in my costume, but looking good doesn't mean buying some super slutastic costume online and calling it a day. Looking good means coming up with an actual costume and than following through to make it as authentic as possible.

What are you going to be for Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment